Monday, January 30, 2012

Time off

This blog has been silent for a while.. And among other things that kept me from posting I have been on a long holiday with bf to Indonesia and Australia visiting a friend and SIL. This trip was the best holiday we've had so far.
Indonesia was overwhelming. Everything is so different from our western culture. We've toured around Yogyakarta on a scooter with our friend as a tour guide and visited the Burubudur and Prambanan temples, had a taste of the local cuisine and went to the wedding parade of the sultans daughter. Of course I brought back some batik fabric but there were so many beautiful fabrics that I just bought 2 pieces for myself and got my mum and Corrine some. Our suitcases were already to heavy!

 In Australia we saw a lot of wildlife. I was so happy when we spotted the first kangaroos! Terrified when we saw a poisonous snake coming towards us... And Australia also has the most beautiful beaches I've seen. We also visited the quiltshop were my parents in law bought several fat quarters aboriginal patterned fabric for me. In the quiltshop worked to lovely ladies who loved to explain everything they had in the shop. And that was a lot!! Stacks of fabric everywhere! Of course I bought some fabric there too, but only one fat because I've nearly finished my Australia quilt top!  As you can see on this picture, fabric everywhere!

I never go on holiday without a quilt project, and I started something new to take with me on trip because I all the quilt tops I've been working on are sort of finished of too much work to take with me. So I spent two evenings cutting everything and even bought a airplane cutter. I figured I could sew an entire quilt during our 18 our flight to Jakarta. All I have sewn are three 5x15 cm strips to a square. On the flight back home. Because I thought, I have carried this in my backpack all the way to the other end of this planet, I must sew something! But last week I've spent two afternoons behind my sewing machine and this is the result!

The pattern is Bizzy kid that I found on the Cluckclucksew blog. I really liked this pattern but the fabrics I've used are very different from the original. While I was sewing it together I doubted if I would like it as much as I hoped.. But I already cut everything thinking I'd come home from holiday with a quilt top so I just finished it! And now that it is finished I really like it. I love every fabric in it! I'm not sure if I'm going to add a border... I might just leave it like this and make it a quilt just to snuggle under on the couch. But before I start quilting this one I have to finish quilting my disappearing nine patch (which is lying half on the floor in the topleft corner of the picture), it's almost done!

2 comments:

Annemiek said...

AH je hebt je blog weer gevonden.
Leuk hoor!!

Anne said...

Leuk om nog een jonge quiltster te vinden!
Groetjes, Anne