Monday, August 15, 2011

We're back from Birmingham!

My mum and I went, for the first time, to the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham last week. It was a lot of fun! When we arrived the first day there were a lot of people (or actually women), quilted bags and vests everywhere. I heard some women say they had to 57 shops before they allowed themselves a bathroom break, we still thought that it couldnt be thát big. We were wrong...

It was huge! We started with the exhibition and by lunchtime it dawned on us we couldnt see all the quilts in one day. So we had a nice lunch at the quilters café and went on to the shops in the afternoon. We made lots of pictures, didnt buy anything yet and in no time it was time to go back to the hotel. The next day we thought we could go and see the other half of the show and shops. We were wrong again. It tooks us three days and we still arent a 100% sure we have seen everything ;-)

I bought some stuff too, some things were a lot cheaper there then when I buy it here because of various show offers and discounts. Here is what I got:
Some white on white fabric and just a few fat quarters that I liked (apparantly Im very into blues and greens). A few notions, mesh transfer paper, a sheet with tiny little holes in it to draw quilt patterns etc on fabric and an aeroplane cutter. We both got ourselves the funny pin. But the best of all are the charmpacks I spoilt myself with. The big one is the Happy go lucky fabric by Nel Whatmore. I love the colors! I had to resist the temptation of sewing the little charmpack together today... I thought I'd at least think about what Im going to do with it for another hour ;-)
We also spotted some 'celebs' like Kaffe Fasset and Marti Michell, had lots of inspiration from all the quilts and are already planning our visit next year!

In my next post Ill show you some pictures of the quilts. I cant put a name on the quilts because my mum has the catalogue, and even if I had it I dont think I could make out who made what quilt, there are too many of em! But its always nice to see some beautiful designs and such isnt it?




No comments: