Thursday, June 09, 2011

Blood, sweat and tears....

I think I just lost 5 pounds trying to sew the border to the center block of the home sweet home quilt. Oh my god...
My mum has been (trying/practising) machine piecing for some time now, even finished a big quilt top with machine sewing! I heard that my mum found it sometimes very difficult to get all the blocks neatly together and I thought I did not have a problem with it. How wrong I was... I have only sewn blocks consisting of squares on my sewing machine and with squares it is a lot easier to make all the ends meet.

But now I had to sew a border with corner blocks with all triangles and get all the pointing ends together.. The first try was a disaster, the second time still very bad and the third time I did not dare to look at the outcome. I ironed the whole thing blindly and decided that it was humanly impossible for me to do any better... When I turned it around it wasn't as bad as I feared. Of the 4 corners one is bad still, one is ok and the last two are something in between. The trick is not to look at it for too long I think ;-)













Now what did I tell you! Scroll down quickly! This is a much nicer picture...






Another small disaster that kept me busy yesterday is some of the red fabric I bought the other day. When I washed it it looked like I slaughtered a chicken in my sink.... I washed it again and again and let it soak in vinegar for a few hours then washed it again but the water still turns red. I'll try the washing machine today and if it still loses color I will have to find some other fabric :-( I sometimes hear people saying they never wash their fabric before use and that I don't understand. They obviously never experienced the horror of pulling your quilt out of the washing machine and everything white has suddenly turned pink.....!

Edit: I'm looking at my border and the one on the original pictures... Turns out I have my corner blocks upside down! And does make it more difficult to get it all right.... Should I tear it apart just one more time?




6 comments:

Amanda said...

What a beautiful block. I think you did a great job on it!

Annemiek said...

Ik snap de frustratie maar toch: muhaha!! Jij dacht zeker dat effe te fixen! I hate to tell you but I told you so :)
De rode afgever: heb ik die ook?????
(grappig: de woordverificatie is "redners")

Crispy said...

Sweetie, you did soooo much better than I would have ever done with a machine. How sad that you have the corner backwards, been there done that. I'm sure your pulled up your big girl panties and fixed it. Good for you to wash you fabric :0) Also, the block is really beautiful :0)

Crispy

dianne said...

i like the corner blocks the way that you have them - i don't think i would change them. it doesn't look like they have to meet up with anything on the next border.

and i admire your courage at attempting all those triangles - i probably would have said, "yes - that IS a beautiful quilt. i am in love with it. and i would love for someone to make it for me."

ha ha ha!

ranette said...

I think you are doing a wonderful job! The secret to machine piecing is to be consistent and practice, practice, practice. Just remember, it's sewing, not rocket science and it's supposed to be FUN :)

I love this quilt and I love your fabric choices.

Mama Spark said...

Your piecing by machine will be improving a lot with this quilt! I'm with Dianne, I think I would just leave it. I sent your mom some info on a product you can use to wash fabric with that helps stop the running so you can ask her all about it.